Nevermind the cripplingly depressing weather this week, let's go to the beach!
New York City beaches officially open for summer on Saturday, meaning lifeguards will be on watch between the hours of 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. until Labor Day weekend.
The Parks Department also has a few safety tips to review before you hit the water:
- Swim only when lifeguards are present: Lifeguards are there for your protection. Follow their directions and all rules.
- Swim with a friend: Drowning often involves single swimmers. A friend can signal for help if a problem develops.
- Swim sober: Alcohol impairs swimming ability and is a major factor in drowning.
- Supervise children: Watch children closely even when lifeguards are present.
- Never chew gum or eat while swimming.
For those who prefer the safety of dry land, Coney Island has added two new rides to its famed lineup: Boardwalk Flight and Coney Island Raceway are both part of the second phase of development of the Scream Zone amusement park.
Also worth noting: On June 16, you can bring your pet python on the Wonder Wheel—for free!